Saturday, December 29, 2012

(Psycho)Babbling Mommy's Stuffed Peppers


Many of you were asking for it, so here's my recipe for crockpot stuffed peppers.
Okay, the truth is, there really is no precise recipe for this.  I don't measure.  I just eyeball everything, which really never makes a difference because it always turns out great.  If you need a recipe that calls for precise measurements this is NOT for you ;)

Ingredients:
Bell peppers (how ever many and whatever color you like, I usually do about 4)
Rice
onions
1LB ground beef (lean or fatty is up to you)
1LB ground pork
garlic, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes (i like em spicy)
4 regular cans of tomato sauce or 2 of the really big ones
1 egg
large bowl for mixing
crockpot

First I mince the garlic and onions.  Cut the top off the peppers, and take seeds out and rinse completely.  (if you like some spice, leave a few seeds in, hey what do I care?)  ;)

In a large bowl put in the beef and pork.  Sprinkle on the salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, flakes, and garlic and onions.  (and any other seasonings you think you'd like in em).  Crack the egg over top and sprinkle in some rice.  I estimate about a cup and a half to two cups of rice to start with.  Get those hands in there and get dirty mama! *or daddy, hey if you get that cute booty in the kitchen to cook for her, I'll bet she'll take over for dessert  ;)*

Here's where it's all up to you.  While mixing, you'll see how it feels.. If it's too moist/wet, add some more rice.  You want em moist, but not super wet.  They need to stay together, and if they are too moist they won't.  Same goes for too much rice, they will get too dry.  When they feel a good consistency, roll em into balls. Some people cook their rice first, I never have, and I like the results.  It's completely up to you.

First, I stuff the peppers with this mixture.  Whatever is left over I roll into meatballs to place around the peppers in the crockpot.  Before I put ANYTHING in the crockpot however, I put a little bit of tomato sauce just to coat the bottom.  We don't want the peppers to stick.

So now you have your peppers placed in the crockpot, and your meatballs around them.  Pour all the tomato sauce over the peppers and meatballs.  Fill up one can with some water and pour that in on top of everything as well.  Put the lid on, and cook on high for 1-2 hours, than on low for another 2-3 hours.

I like my peppers falling apart, if you like them a bit stiffer, cook them for less time.  Again this recipe is all up to what you like best.  This is just the way I make it, and love em.  Play with the recipe a bit and make em your own! :) If you do make it, let me know what you think!

XOXO
(Psycho)Babbling Mommy




No comments:

Post a Comment